Kalaa Utsavam Classical Music Stage aims to discover and showcase talents with Indian classical music background such as Carnatic and Hindustani music.
The open call encompasses compulsory mentorship sessions prior to the final performance, with renowned artists such as R K Shriramkumar and Ashwini Bhide.
The open call is for solo or duo performances only. Selected artists will have the opportunity to present a 30-minute Carnatic or Hindustani music performance at the Esplanade Concourse between 24 – 26 Nov 2023 during Kalaa Utsavam – Indian Festival of Arts 2023. Technical support will be provided at the venue.
11 Sep 2023, Mon, 12pm
Open Call starts
25 Sep 2023, Mon, 12pm
Open Call closes
26 Sep 2023, Tue, 2pm
Selected groups will be notified
End Sep – Nov 2023
Session with mentors
Between 24 – 26 Nov 2023, Fri – Sun
Classical Music Stage Live Performance
Do note that full attendance for all mentorship sessions and Kalaa Utsavam 2023 is compulsory.
- Participants aged 15 – 39 residing in Singapore, with at least seven years of training in either Carnatic or Hindustani music.
- Entries should be either solo or duo performances, by vocalists or instrumentalists (excluding accompanying performers).
- Those who did not perform at Kalaa Utsavam Classical Music Stage 2022.
(Applicants who were previously part of Kalaa Utsavam Classical Music Stage in 2021 are welcome to apply again, however, priority will be given to new applicants.)
- Submission of video entries will begin on 11 Sep 2023, Mon, 12pm and close on 25 Sep 2023, Mon, 12pm. Submissions received after 25 Sep 2023, 12pm will not be considered.
- Please upload and submit your video link entries through one of the following platform: YouTube, Vimeo, Google Drive, Dropbox.
- Shortlisted entries will be notified via email on 26 Sep 2023, Tue, 2pm following which a confirmation of participation must be given by 28 Sep 2023, Fri, 12pm.
- The final list of selected participants for Kalaa Utsavam Classical Music Stage will be announced on Kalaa Utsavam’s Facebook page on 29 Sep 2023, Fri. Participants will also receive an email informing the exact date and time of the performance and other relevant details.
- Esplanade reserves the right to amend the rules and guidelines pertaining to the audition and/or submission of entries without prior notice.
- Shortlisted musicians will present their 30-minute performance in the slots allocated by Esplanade between 24 – 26 Nov. They are also required to attend a mandatory sound check.
- Each ensemble is limited to minimum one or maximum two lead performers (excluding accompanying performers). They must prepare a repertoire that does not exceed 30 minutes when performed, inclusive of announcements made during the performance.
- It is compulsory for each lead performer to complete three sessions with mentor prior to the performance. The three sessions must be planned and coordinated between mentor and participant/s independently. Once finalised each participant must submit the dates to Esplanade before the first mentorship session takes place. Sessions will be conducted via Zoom.
- You have to engage your own accompanying artists, limited to acoustic Indian instruments such as mridangam, violin, ghatam, veena, flute, kanjira, tabla, sitar and harmonium.
- All participants must present themselves at the venue 30 mins before their allotted time for a soundcheck. Lateness or absence may result in the performance being withdrawn from the event.
- The music ensembles are responsible for making all necessary arrangements to inform their employers, educational institutes or any other relevant party and securing their permission if required before confirming their participation in this event.
- All participants must dress in appropriate traditional attire.
- All participants are expected to observe proper, sportsmanlike behaviours. Any offensive, obscene, abusive, and/or violent behaviours including but not limited to actions causing damage to equipment or property or the use of illegal drugs and substances will not be tolerated by Esplanade. No consumption of alcoholic beverages by selected participants is allowed during the event. Any violation will result in immediate withdrawal of the performance and the participant(s) will be escorted from the premises.
- An honorarium of $200 will be paid to each music ensemble for the 30-min performance.
- Participants will be held liable for any loss or damages to equipment and/or property provided by Esplanade.
- All participants consent to have the use of their names, voices, likenesses, audio and visual materials including but not limited to photographs by Esplanade and its sponsors and/or partners for purposes of publicity, broadcasting, advertising and or trade without any compensation or prior notice.
- All participants consent to take part in promotional activities, including but not limited to media interviews, promotional appearances and events arranged by Esplanade and its sponsors and/or partners or publicity and/or promotional purposes for which no additional fees shall be paid.
- All performances will be filmed and broadcasted on platforms or channels owned or operated by Esplanade, who reserves the right to use the footages in part or in whole for promotions and other non-commercial purposes.
- Esplanade reserves the right to amend the open call rules and guidelines without prior notice, including the cancellation of the event due to lack of registration, inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances. Esplanade also reserves the right to change an event's location, venue and/or dates. The company will not be held responsible for any costs, loss or damages involved in this change, including but not limited to transportation costs, and is not responsible for any personal injury/property loss before, during or after the event.
- The decisions of Esplanade in all matters relating to the event shall be final. No reasons shall be given for the acceptance or rejection of any submission and no correspondence there on will be entertained. By performing in this event, selected participants agree to abide by all rules, regulations, terms and conditions, and decisions made by the company.