About Super Japan – Japanese Festival of Arts
Esplanade’s new cultural festival shines the spotlight on the Land of the Rising Sun, with a 10-day showcase that immerses the audience in the arts, cultures and traditions unique to Japan. Ranging from the traditional to the contemporary, the popular to the progressive, as well as special collaborations between Singapore and Japanese artists, the programmes highlight the multitude of expressions that make this country so culturally diverse and fascinating at every turn.
As part of Super Japan, Esplanade celebrates some of the relationships that we have built with our Japanese artists and arts groups over the last 14 years. This year also marks the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Japan and Singapore.
Highlights of Super Japan include:
- Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, “Japan’s Lady Gaga” kicks off her 5th Anniversary World Tour in Singapore.
- Himiko – Memories of the Sun Goddess, presents an evening of epic Japanese storytelling through Japanese traditional and western music, kabuki and Japanese classical dance.
- Eric Miyashiro leads the Blue Note Tokyo All-Star Jazz Orchestra in an evening of electrifying big band jazz.
- Singapore playwright Chong Tze Chien teams up with Japanese director Shigeki Nakano in the reintepretation of the classic noh drama The Damask Drum in Drums.
- Esteemed butoh dance company Sankai Juku returns to Esplanade with their latest production Meguri: Teeming Sea, Tranquil Land.