29 Apr 2023, Sat, 3.30pm
Esplanade Rehearsal Studio
This event is over.
This event is over.
Regarded as “the history of prayer through song”, Byzantine music in the Greek Orthodox Church is purely vocal and is usually sung unaccompanied in the form of a monophonic chant. This chant is used as a prayer. Some of the Byzantine chant forms (like the Kontakion, a narrative-sermon that explains the meaning of biblical texts) draw on the imagery and stories of historical narratives. Many of these contain conversations between characters, with a focus on the drama.
Come and learn more about Byzantine music and chant from theologian, priest, choir director and soloist Father Nikodimos Kabarnos. This introduction will cover the music and its symbols, and how these symbols are translated into chant.
• Patrons who have registered will have priority entry to the venue.
• Patrons who have registered must arrive 5 mins before the start of the event to guarantee your admission.
• Patrons who have registered but are not at the venue 5 mins before the start will have their seats released to walk-in patrons on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Limited seats are available at the door.
• Seating will be assigned by Esplanade’s ushers.
Father Nikodimos Kabarnos
Father Nikodimos Kabarnos (Panagiotis Kabarnos before ordination) is a priest of the Orthodox Christian Church, belonging to the Holy Archdiocese of Athens – Greece. He is a theologian, Doctor of Communication-Theology, film and television director, sound engineer, pianist, choir director and soloist. Known for his unique voice, Nikodimos Kabarnos is credited for preserving and promoting the tradition and heritage of the Byzantine Empire, having performed in over 500 concerts all over the world and shared Byzantine music actively on the Internet. He has contributed to bringing Byzantine music to the mainstream in
29 Apr 2023, Sat
Great arts experiences begin with Esplanade&Me. Join this membership to enjoy ticket specials on shows at Esplanade, early bird specials, promotions at Esplanade Mall, unlimited access to Offstage and more.